Sam and I moved into a highrise condo a while back, the nicest place we've lived in to date! It's caused me to go on an obsessive decorating spree in an attempt to recreate the West Elm catalogs that keep showing up in my mailbox. I also learned that Overstock and Amazon are a godsend when you live downtown; nearly all of the items pictured below were bought online and shipped to our door. Details and product links are listed at the bottom!
My goal was to create a minimalist zen aesthetic, believing it'd be the easy thing to do. (It's not.) Sam, being the practical one, seized the opportunity to push for a massive Spring Cleaning before our big move. In an effort to simplify our lives, we donated/tossed two-thirds of our possessions accrued over the past 2 years! I was really happy to finally kick my compulsive hoarding habit. Adulthood status attained! I still misplace things constantly and forget that the glasses I'm searching for are on my face, but that won't never change.
This also marks the first time ever that I've made an effort to buy non-IKEA furniture — the kind that won't fall apart after two more moves. The live edge walnut coffee table was my biggest splurge; it was custom built by a talented woodworker from Kansas and I intend to treasure it for a very long time.
The open kitchen is my favorite area; it's been totally utilitarian and brightly sunlit for all of summer. I feel somewhat pressured to keep it spotless, but I am lazy by nature. So I sweep food crumbs under the rugs.
In the midst of all this decorating, I've acquired something of a green thumb. I am convincing enough that people ask me for recommendations, despite the fact that I selected every plant in our home based solely on hardiness. (Also, that orange orchid arrangement is fake.) I am pretty happy with how the driftwood terrarium turned out, though! That one was fussy as hell and took three tries to get right.
- Live Edge Slab Wood Walnut Table 24" x 48" - Custom built by WickedGrain
- Bloom Sofa in Sand - Dania Furniture (Seattle Branch)
- Wooden Hand-Carved Walnut Oil Twist Tool - Overstock.com
- Wood + Glass Terrarium - West Elm
- Big Dipper Arc Floor Lamp - CB2.com
- Green Vine 18" Embroidered Pillows - Amazon.com
- Safavieh 18" Brown and Green Dandelion Pillows - Amazon.com
- Pleated Square 22" Decorative Pillow in Avocado - Overstock.com
- Stratham White Mid-century Modern Chair - Overstock.com
- Safavieh Ultimate Cream/Beige Shag Rug 8' x 10' - Overstock.com
- Idabel Dark Wood Modern Desk w/ Glass Top - Overstock.com
- Winsome 24" Rush Seat Walnut Bar Stools - Amazon.com
- Live Edge Slab Wood Walnut Cutting Board - Custom built by WickedGrain
- Shang Mu Wood Large Flat Cut Root Bowl - Overstock.com
- Ginsu 12-Piece Chikara Signature Series Block Knife Set - Amazon.com
- Safavieh Ultimate Cream/Beige Runner Rug 2.3' x 11' - Overstock.com
- Mini Succulents (terrarium)
- Mini Cacti
- Jade Plant
- Aloe Park Avenue
- Tillandsia Air Plants
- Heart Leaf Philodendron
- Silk Orchids (I cheated a bit)
- Xerographica Air Plant
- Green Hydrangeas (table vase)
- Prayer Plant (keyboard)